Getting Lear: How To Show And Not Tell

"All documentaries must invoke, as best they can, the spirit rather than the letter of the truth - and they are exciting because of this. A documentary's authenticity ultimately lies in its organizing vision rather than any mechanical fidelity to life." - Michael Rabiger



Thursday, July 17, 2008

How to make a doc (P.1)


Sunday, June 29, 2008


They Shoot Horses....


After more than a year of shooting it looks like "Getting Lear" is finally taking form and coming together as a cohesive piece. It is not the film we set out to make (thank god), but rather something much looser and quirkier.

I still don't know if it will amount to anything, or if anyone will want to see it, but my pointed efforts, on this project, have all been aimed at attempting to capture something – something elusive – and show that failure, fear, and learning are all a part of the creative process.

I've spent thousands of dollars, and hundreds of hours on this project. I've sacrificed friendships, relationships, vacation time, and a graduate degree to see this project move from pre-production to post-production.

I say this not for sympathy or credit, but because it is the truth.

Every step of the way, I've questioned if it all was worth it.

I have no answer.

However, I must give praise where praise is due, and say that Fred Zara has been my rock (and my producer/editor). The film would not have happened without him.

"Getting Lear" will be finished this summer.

No comments: