Getting Lear: How To Show And Not Tell

"All documentaries must invoke, as best they can, the spirit rather than the letter of the truth - and they are exciting because of this. A documentary's authenticity ultimately lies in its organizing vision rather than any mechanical fidelity to life." - Michael Rabiger



Thursday, July 17, 2008

How to make a doc (P.4)


Wednesday, July 16, 2008


This week brought disaster, heartache, and frustration to the "Getting Lear" family.

All the clips I ingested, and the hour-plus timeline I assembled, were lost when my Lacie hard drive melted down. First came smoke, then hopes that it was just the power supply and not the drive itself, and lastly came the realization that the hard drive was fucked.

Lacie has a reputation for this kind of thing, but yet I ignored the warnings and threw caution to the wind by not backing my work up.

This type of occurrence might make a lesser man cry, or curse the gods, but rather I stay serene and recognize this for the learning experience that it is, and yet another chance to spend some intimate time with my footage (as I ingest it on to a new hard drive).

This time there will be back-ups, I tell ya.

There is an old I.T. saying that goes like this: "There are two types of people in the world: people who lose data, and people who WILL lose data.


TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments: