Getting Lear: How To Show And Not Tell

"All documentaries must invoke, as best they can, the spirit rather than the letter of the truth - and they are exciting because of this. A documentary's authenticity ultimately lies in its organizing vision rather than any mechanical fidelity to life." - Michael Rabiger



Sunday, March 8, 2009

Some perspective...

After rereading my last few posts it seems like I might be feeling a little bit sorry for myself , or throwing myself a pity party over how badly I feel I have been wronged over the last two years.

Nothing further from the truth.

I am so glad to be at the place that I now find myself - working on a doc I feel so fucking passionate about.

I committed to a project funded by the English Speaking Union and Rollins College, and I delivered it as promised. Everything else is on them.

Even when my editor, Fred, and I split ways on this project we did so knowing that it was the best thing for us to do. I'm so proud of us for handling a difficult situation like adults and like friends. Fred is a good guy, and a multi-talented filmmaker/editor/actor/ composer.

He will always be my friend.

And then, as if from Heaven, drops a young UCF student/ up and coming editor named Michael S. (thanks a million times over to Lisa Mills for this). In his first hours working on my film, Michael was cleaning up edits, fixing audio problems, and absorbing all that is FINAL CUT PRO like a sponge. I was floored by his attention to detail, and his willingness to work, work, work.

So, in no way, am I down about what has happened over the last two years. I am on fire.

Fire, mothefuckers.

-chris

1 comment:

ucfmills said...

Go Chris! Go Michael! Just keep going...one edit at a time... It's like writing a novel. You just keep putting down words and sentences. You're good at writing, right? You can do this. You know what you have to do now.