Getting Lear: How To Show And Not Tell

"All documentaries must invoke, as best they can, the spirit rather than the letter of the truth - and they are exciting because of this. A documentary's authenticity ultimately lies in its organizing vision rather than any mechanical fidelity to life." - Michael Rabiger



Sunday, March 8, 2009

What happens now...

Nearly two years ago, when I was a grad student at Rollins, I entered into a three person partnership for the purpose of making a film about King Lear and aging.

I didn't ask for anything in writing.

In my defense: I was approached by a major educational institution (of which I was a student) to make an educational film. I had no way of knowing that their word was meaningless.

I was paid three thousand dollars up front.

Granted (and that is a funny word in this case) whatever the productions budget was - it was not enough, and who in their right mind would agree to work on a massive project -- virtually alone -- and then spend 5 grand of their own money to finish it.

Me.

This wasn't a school project, I benefited zero for my efforts.

I tell this tale because it was a huge learning experience.

Now, they have their film and seem to be happy with it for whatever that is worth, and I have my own film. I also have an attorney.

As I write this the words are not coming easy to me, but the reason I turn to the blog is to put forth my desire to move forward - finish MY film - and have it all mean something in the end.

As I proceed with my film, and as I wrap up the messy details of their film, I will be using this blog to spill my guts. No more holding back.

Repeat: No more holding back.

No comments: