Getting Lear: How To Show And Not Tell

"All documentaries must invoke, as best they can, the spirit rather than the letter of the truth - and they are exciting because of this. A documentary's authenticity ultimately lies in its organizing vision rather than any mechanical fidelity to life." - Michael Rabiger



Saturday, July 17, 2010

Do you mind if we shoot you?

It’s a question that actually should happen before the cameral rolls, but I find that a camera needs to be rolling all the time, so the question gets worked into the scene – usually mid-conversation.

It becomes a question sewn into the fabric of the interview – as if to inform the future viewer that this moment is real, of the moment, and unedited.

Again, most doc makers wouldn’t want this. It seems amateur, unprepared, unorganized, and clumsy.

By why not use the question?

Michael Arth is running for political office. He approaches people as a part of his campaign and I tag along with a camera.

The people he approaches are random, regular folks who are not suspecting a political candidate to cross their paths nor a documentary crew.

The question becomes a cue of sorts to let me know that Michael thinks the conversation is usable, meaningful, and worthy to be used in the documentary.

Of course, if he didn't ask, I would pull these folks aside after each approach and ask them for permission.

I guess I’m waiting for that “No, I do not want to be filmed” moment.

When that happens I want to get consent after (all is said and done), but up until consent, I want the raw distrust of media caught on tape.

It almost happened the other day with a minister, or at least I sensed it was going down that path.

And for some reason, I spoke up; breaking the “Teller” (Penn & Teller) character I play while shooting and said “I’m a FOX employee.”

And that reassured the irate preacherman that I was cool.

He agreed to sign the release, and I lost a real moment.

No comments: