Getting Lear: How To Show And Not Tell

"All documentaries must invoke, as best they can, the spirit rather than the letter of the truth - and they are exciting because of this. A documentary's authenticity ultimately lies in its organizing vision rather than any mechanical fidelity to life." - Michael Rabiger



Sunday, July 4, 2010

Shooting the whole day down.

Is there a method, process, or format to follow when making a political campaign doc?

There should be, or at least a general set of rules to follow.

My current project -- albeit a typical political trail story -- has presented me with new lessons, new ideas, and a far more chaotic style of run-and-gun shooting that immediately threw me out of my comfort zone. How do you shoot a parade?

And as much as I am numb, dumb, and not interested in the particulars of the politics here – I’m here to tell a story—I have learned that the political is really the personal.

For the first time ever, I must deal in the currency of trust.

No longer is it enough for me to have trust in my team, trust in myself, or most importantly trust in my subject, but I must be trusted.

How did the makers of JESUS CAMP do what they did? And did they lie in order to tell what they thought was a bigger truth?

Already I notice when shooting my politician I do all that I can to stay unnoticed in a crowd, or across the street, waiting for permission to be asked as I shoot away.


No comments: